Spring Mix Salad with Black Currant Vinaigrette
This spring mixed greens salad includes cheese, nuts, fruit, and a vinaigrette made from black currant balsamic vinegar and a fruit-style olive oil.
- 8 C spring mix, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 lb. feta or aged goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 C walnuts or pan-toasted pine nuts
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 mandarin orange or tangerine peeled and separated into sections
- 3 T black currant balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- Pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- ½ - 3/4 C extra virgin olive oil, any fruit style
Prepare salad greens, cheese, nuts, onion and orange by arranging on plates.
To make the vinaigrette, thoroughly whisk vinegar, black pepper and dried mustard together in a small bowl. Add the extra-virgin olive oil in a slow stream while continuing to whisk until it is emulsified. Pour over the prepared salad and serve immediately. Serves 8.